Sunday, October 16, 2011

Yoga in India

Hello everyone.  We're having a wonderful time seeing our friends, facilitating workshops and now teaching yoga.  My classes begin at 5 am and continue until 7:30 with 50 young trainees (18-22) who work in various positions around the hospital, research center, and Aurolab.  They often work over microscopes, sit in front of computers, do various repetitive jobs and have neck and back pain commonly.  We are working on self-care and changing bad habits, mostly with posture and breathing.  Today there were 70 in the morning class!  I see 700 of them only once and an older administrative batch of 50 I see 8 times in 2 1 and a half hour classes.  A smaller group with more severe back issues will come next week.  These girls are from rural villages and are selected based on there willingness to contribute to the vision of Aravind and their compassion and character.  It is great fun to work with them.  We stay in Madurai until the 29th and leave for Northern India for 3 weeks of yoga and Ayurveda.  Please let me know if you are reading this!  Namaste, Susy  Also if you would like to read Bill's address at the Inauguaration let me know and I'll send it along.  It's also on Youtube.

 Urdhva Hastasana in Tadasana
 Malasana
 Urdhva Hastasana in Swastikasana (girls from the first class came to assist in 2nd class)
 Aurolab chest opening
 Rope hang with the window grill
 Chair twist
 Malasana in chair
 Legs up

2 comments:

  1. Susy, Yes I am reading this and check often for a new post from you. I love hearing about your experiences and travels and the photos are wonderful.. Especially these yoga classes! I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to do this blog... I have class today and will remind others of the blog, just in case.. My best to Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know we are reading! We are wondering why it has been so long since your last post. What is going on there the past few days?

    ReplyDelete